Sunday, October 17, 2010

Napoleon Dynamite

Napoleon Dynamite
            This film was the first big film for director Jared Hess; he developed a theme around the “super” geek Napoleon Dynamite. Hess used various scenes to show how Napoleon fit into the role, initial scene. I found this movie tough to stay engaged. The various how do you say, “gosh” just seem to annoy me.  In fact I was really disappointed with the entire movie.
            Several friends and/or family members said you need to see this movie as I had shared my list of potential choices. I can honestly say they were wrong, seeing the entire movie took several attempts. It showed me how bad their taste in movies was. Between the annoying noises, the squinting eyes seem as if the movie really never gained traction towards the plot. Super geek statement, I see you’re drinking 1% do you think your fat? You could drink whole milk if you needed to!
            Hess I believe was trying to show the struggles of the teenage youth, Napoleon in an effort to project more than he is self promotes himself to Pedro as potential gang member. I do think he did capture the conversations of youth while sitting on the steps of the school. The conversation is about being something and/or someone “when” I do you can be my secretary Pedro says. Actor Jon Gries who played in many other movies including (Real Genius) on my favorite movies seemed to live in the year 1982, sleazy van and all. I felt he captured the character of a person who hasn’t moved on from High School, yet repulsed when he hit upon the Napoleon’s girl friend. TWO thumbs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment